When I think about an Australian summer a few images come to mind: Hot sun, The beach, Cricket, Flies, and of course the BBQ.
The BBQ is an integral part of our culture and lifestyle, equivocal with the fan-forced oven. There are barbeque inspired cookbooks and even competitions to find the best barbequer in the country. Many fights have blown out amongst men about who gets to hold the tongs, and who is the privileged man who gets to feed the troops. Rarely do you find a group of women, cooking snags on the barbie, beer in one hand, tongs in the other.
My dad always cooked them, my boyfriends have cooked them, I've eaten food at plenty of them, yet somehow I escaped ever turning a barbeque on, and actually cooking one.
I asked myself: What better way to celebrate the start of summer, than by inviting mates around for a great feed - sausages, salads and a few beers/winos to kick off the next 25 days of firsts
By-passing the intimidation I felt as I approached Frank (our barbeque, abbreviated from Frankenstein because Boyfriend built him from several other barbeques) in the midst of a crowd of my friends, I cheated and let Boyfriend turn on the gas before cutting up the sausages and whacking them on the barbie.
I'm proud of my now experienced barbequer status - maybe next year I'll even get a nomination in the barbequer of the year!
Happy Birthday to me.
Two questions:
ReplyDeleteWhat is a fan forced oven? Sounds interesting. Maybe I'll have to use one when I live out my dream of working on a ranch next year.
What are snags? Sounds questionable.
Oh actually three questions. Did you make shrimp on the barbie? The Outback Steakhouse restaurant pushes those on us as THE Aussie food to order and we have like 34343 commercials advertising how good they are.
Also, I've never used a grill either so I'm impressed. I'm setting feminism back a few years because I expect men to do that lol
Love the blog!